The Maxine Award invites you to explore your natural talents and enthusiasm, your sense of enterprise and your creative skills in this exciting opportunity. The Award is open to all young women currently attending any of the further education colleges founded by SCAD, Social Change and Development.
It offers prestigious prizes on a given topic in 3 separate categories for you to choose from:
Please read on, find out more. We would love to hear from you.
WHAT IS THE AWARD?
The Maxine Award has been sponsored by Dr Eleanor O’Sullivan, a leading Radiologist, Council Member of the British Medical Association in London, England and herself a recipient of the coveted “UK Gold Medal for Services to Medicine”. She qualified as a Doctor in London at a time when only 10% of medical students were girls. This number has now risen to over 60%. Indeed, young women are progressing and excelling in all fields and these prizes are intended to recognise and encourage this. The Award itself is named after the noted Artist Maxine Relton, who has been bringing sketching groups to Tamil Nadu from Europe since 2009 to support the important work that SCAD carries out in the rural communities of Tamil Nadu, South India. Maxine herself is inspirational and an outstanding example of how much a woman can achieve artistically and in business. She is passionate about helping people to achieve their full creative potential in life. The annual prizes are offered exclusively to SCAD’s female students, whatever their field of study. They will be awarded to the winners of the competition on given themes. These topics are designed to encourage broad-based endeavour and excellence in art, science and business enterprise. The winners or winning teams (up to 4 members) will:
- Be invited to the Public Award Ceremony to receive their Certificate of Outstanding Merit
- Receive a cash prize
- Be celebrated in the International Profile on SCAD’s official website
- Have their names inscribed on a special plaque: The Maxine Award Board of Winners, displayed at SCAD’s main site
Read on to find details of the new 2018 themes in the 3 categories set out below or visit www.nirmantrust.org.in. This year’s options have been chosen by the Award Committee but your suggestions for future themes will be welcomed at any time.
WHO CAN ENTER FOR THE AWARD?
The Award is open to all female students currently attending any of SCAD’s further education colleges, whatever your chosen discipline. There is no participation fee. You may compete individually or in small groups of up to 4 students. Each competitor, whether single or in a group, may submit ONLY ONE entry and may enter ONLY ONE of the 3 different categories.
WHAT ARE THE 2018 AWARD THEMES?
We have given below detailed guidance to help you choose which of these 3 different categories most appeals to you. An initial shortlist will be made from all submissions, followed by a further selection of the first and second prize winners for the most outstanding entries in each category. The Judges will be looking above all for:
- An imaginative, creative approach to your theme
- New material devised expressly in response to the competition
- A lively, enthusiastic presentation of 7 minutes’ maximum duration
- A commercial angle demonstrating a spirit of enterprise
- Evidence of thorough and thoughtful research
We encourage you to think of commercial outcome, whichever theme you choose. We hope the contest will stimulate you and be inspiring but also that it will be fun. Remember you can compete individually or form a team of up to 4 to enter your chosen category.
The subjects chosen for each category this year are as follows:
1. ART – INSPIRATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHIC POSTCARDS
Are you visually creative, longing to express your ideas in powerful imagery? We invite you to create a set of 8 imaginative photographic postcards which depict shining examples of women’s contributions to family life in Tamil culture. THE TASK IS
- To produce an informative “Welcome to Our City” map both as a handy pocket guide AND the same in large format as a public display board to be put up in strategic locations. The map needs to:
- To consider how a woman’s special strengths, imagination and energy can benefit and support her family (e.g. in pursuing a career path, nurturing others, developing her artistic skills, working at home or in the community)
- To create 8 descriptive and well-coordinated photographic images that are powerful, imaginative, artistic and heart-stirring
- To convert these images into a marketable pack of desirable, collectable postcards, adding relevant title and repeat-order contact details on the back of each one
- To devise an appealing sales pack, showing a miniature version of all 8 images on the outside so the buyer can see the full set without opening the pack (although the judges will want to see the individual cards)
- To cost the production and establish a market price.
- It is strongly recommended that photography entries are original and of good quality prints as well as soft copy in JPG format.
SCAD ROLE MODEL STARS OF THE FUTURE!
2. SCIENCE : SAVE R. THAMIRABARANI
Do you have an interest in ecology? Are you moved to take action for the sustainable future of our planet? Small actions close to home are helpful steps that all of us can take. South India has only one perennial river: the Thamirabarani that runs through Tirunelveli, but it is under threat from pollution and over-extraction of its water – a precious resource. We invite you to research those threats, then to design a visually arresting poster campaign to stimulate passionate concern and support remedial action to save the river. THE TASK IS
- To investigate the various threats to this vital river, the resulting impact on the region and what is currently being done to tackle the problem
- To design a campaign of 4 posters with a powerful visual and verbal message in Tamil, depicting in sequence:
- The river’s beauty and potential
- That vision marred by pollution
- The same first vision affected by over-extraction
- Over a reminder of your original powerful and positive image, foreground a rallying call to help save the river, with contact details of any existing action group to support
- To back up your poster design with a brief, clear report of your survey findings for the Award Judges and identify some prominent locations you have found to display your sequence of posters
SCAD ENVIROMENTALISTS SPRING INTO ACTION
3. BUSINESS AWARD: SCAD STUDENT MAGAZINE
Are you interested in creating a business, launching a new product? How about pioneering a Student Magazine, designed and produced solely by and for SCAD students: a new publication to entertain, inform and serve the widest possible interests of your fellow students at all SCAD further education colleges?
THE TASK IS
- To produce a prototype student magazine in hard copy, English-medium version for your Award entry (possible Tamil and/or digital versions to be rolled out later): entertaining, informative and well presented
- To design an eye-catching, distinctive cover with an appealing title
- To create a diverse range of editorial content (for example, interesting and amusing articles, useful guidance, helpful facts, careers advice, health tips, special-interest student clubs (sport, handicrafts, film-making, etc), student advisor column, section for sales of second-hand items, shared transport offers, discounts at local stores, available awards and scholarships, etc.)
- To estimate the price per copy based on the projected cost of printing, distribution and other overheads
- To research and obtain some initial advertising agreements in principle from local businesses or other sponsorship to launch the publication
SCAD MAG HITS THE HEADLINES!
HOW DO I ENTER?
Registration and Entry Forms
Closing Date for Entries
All competition material must be received by 3rdJanuary 2018.
Please Note :
The decision of the Judges will be final and will be announced at a Public Award Ceremony in early 2018. All entrants and colleges will be notified of those details in due course. All entries and supporting material may be further used by SCAD Nirman after the awards presentations. For easy and better understanding of the same, we will also be posting the Tamil version of this, shortly. In case further details are needed, you may visit www.scad.ac.in and www.scad.org.in & www.nirmantrust.org.in or contact 9942978487/ 9942978677. For further details, visit www.scad.org.in & www.scad.ac.in & nirmantrust.org.in
Contact Mr.Charles Project Manager SCAD Mobile : +91 99429 78 487 email : email@example.com
WE GREATLY LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR IDEAS & MEETING YOU AT THE PUBLIC AWARD CEREMONY.